Lead Product Designer at Whereby
Anywhere • Full-time
$150000 - $170000
Whereby is hiring a remote Lead Product Designer . They are looking for applicants globally and this is a Full-time position.
This company is no longer accepting applications for this job
Get new remote jobs in your inbox
Remote design jobs weekly
Interviews from remote designers
Articles on remote working
Free and always will be
< 0.5% unsubscribe
Whereabouts: We are full-remote, global and hours agnostic! Please be aware that many of our team are based in Europe. This means will generally need to have at least 3 hours of work cross-over with CET and GMT. Read more about our approach to Remote working here.
Interviews: Around 4-6 hours over a few weeks, including some paid practical work
Salary: Starting* at £85,669 globally and $151,364 for US candidates
* We have no “caps” on our salary, and you can read our full compensation philosophy here . If our advertised salary doesn’t suit your current expectations, just let us know. Although we do not negotiate salaries, we may be able to offer the role at a more senior level or with an alternative scope.
Reporting to: Andy Tyra, CPTO
Ask us anything: email@example.com
"The function of design is letting design function." - Micha Commeren
🌏 What Whereby is all about
The world is now 'permanently hybrid'. Flexibility is no longer an aspiration. It’s an expectation. Created with Scandinavian simplicity at heart, Whereby is a video communications company who seeks to create a world where every business can connect with its customers, wherever they are. A world where everyone has freedom and choice to interact in person, or virtually. A world where anywhere works.
🔍 Who we're looking for
We’re looking for an exceptional Product Designer to lead Whereby’s design function across a continuous portfolio of high-impact strategic projects. In this role, you’ll be responsible for developing, refining, and communicating continuously the company’s design vision and language, company-wide.
We’re looking for someone to partner with our Product and Engineering team to develop requirements and vision, design industry-leading experiences, and bring new capabilities to market quickly and with high impact. As part of these projects, you’ll have end-to-end ownership of our user experience at every stage of the software development lifecycle, and you’ll span from identifying customer needs to sketching solutions and prototyping, to testing ideas, and refine designs with data and user feedback. In some cases, you’ll go hands-on, directly making changes to our product and its functionality. You’ll sit on the Product, Engineering, and Design leadership team, reporting directly to the CPTO, and as we succeed and scale you’ll take on managerial responsibility of the design function.
💫 Your mission in your first year at Whereby
Create a world-class customer portal experience, which helps customers discover, adopt and maximise the value of Whereby products.
⚒️ The nuts and bolts of the role
Please do not see everything in this job ad as "must have", but rather a guiding list of what we're looking for. We know that no candidate will be the perfect match for all we've mentioned in this posting, so don't be afraid to apply if you feel you're close to the brief but not "spot on"
- User- and customer-centered approach.
- Creative thinking - delivering elegant solutions to hard problems.
- Interaction design - ability to sweat the detail.
- Data-driven - using user testing to iterate on new designs based on insights.
- Proficient in information architecture, multi-step, and cross-platform flows.
- Ambitious and thriving in environments of high ambiguity and risk.
- Not afraid of getting technical - no prior developer experience is required, but you are excited to learn about APIs and application development.
- A great communicator, leveraging different techniques to make your point and explain complex problems in a clear and concise way.
- Team and functional leadership, either as a manager or very senior IC.
Your previous experience
- Have 5+ years of proven experience in leading Product Design roles in tech startup environment; preferably in the B2B SaaS industry.
- Have a portfolio of work which demonstrates your ability to think in systems, develop new interaction patterns with a high level of creative flair and polish.
- Are able to demonstrate strong problem solving skills with the ability to explore multiple design solutions using different methods to help identify, explore and solve problems.
- Contributed to product and design strategy, by bringing new ways of working and fresh perspectives to your team, peers and senior management.
- Coached and mentored other product designers to help make the wider team better; bonus for experience with line management of designers or researchers.
How we'll measure your success
- Value and impact of design work.
- Contribution to strategy and business impact.
Strategic responsibilities - you will:
- Identify user problems, create a long-term vision for expanding the current user experience, and facilitate a user-centered product development process.
- Break down complex problems based on user needs, considering the full end-to-end customer journey.
- Continually have a view of the bigger picture and work with others across the business to iron out the seams across our experience.
- Own and continuously refine Whereby’s design vision and language, and its design system and accessibility standards.
- Be a key contributor and decision maker for hiring and performance management activities for our design function.
- Know the ins and outs of different platforms and can speak with authority on best practices.
Tactical responsibilities - you will:
- Act as the glue between product and marketing and bring cohesion to all our customer touchpoints.
- Marry insights, data and customer feedback, taking a methodical approach to capture a holistic view and validate insights.
- Lead and facilitate workshops, design sprints and sparring sessions.
Foundational responsibilities - you will:
- Be the voice of the customer and partner with product management and engineering to deliver customer value, early and often.
- Form hypotheses and strive to get to the root of a problem.
- Create wireframes, prototypes and final designs which meet customer and business needs.
- You’ll have the opportunity to grow from our design functional leader to a leader with managerial responsibilities of a larger team.
- You’ll get the chance to work with modern design tools and methodologies and will have a real opportunity to have a high impact.
- You'll have the opportunity and flexibility to be part of different teams and develop in several areas.
- You'll have an impact on a core area of our product as well as business wide.
🙌 We believe in everyone
We fundamentally believe that talent is distributed to all of us in equal measure. We open our doors (physical or url) to everyone and we see our differences as a strength; it’s this philosophy that drives us towards our mission.
This means we see your unique history as having a value money cannot buy; we believe in the strength of every intersection of race, religion or belief, ethnic origin, different physical ability, family structure, socio-economics, age, nationality or citizenship, marital, domestic or civil partnership status, sexual orientation, gender identity.
You've read all this way... you may as well apply! 🙌
If you have any more questions, take a peek at our Recruitment FAQ on Notion or drop us an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. You can always read more about Whereby here on our open handbook.
Background checking: We perform background checks on certain roles. For more information about how and why we carry out background checks, this document is a great starting point. For anything further, please email email@example.com or your Talent Partner. Whereby’s background checks will be carried out by Zinc .
Legitimate posting: If you aren’t seeing this role advertised on https://jobs.lever.co/whereby the role is likely closed for new applications. Unfortunately, we are not always in control of where our roles are posted as many websites post our roles without our express consent. For this reason, you may be reading out of date information - we are so sorry about that. Our careers team is always on hand to answer questions, drop us a line at firstname.lastname@example.org
More jobs hiring anywhere
- DuckDuckGoSenior Brand DesignerAnywhere • Full-time$170,000
- Elevate LabsSenior Product DesignerAnywhere • Full-time
- PhantomBusterSenior Product DesignerAnywhere • Full-time
- GitLabSenior Product Manager, US Public Sector ServicesAnywhere • Full-time$127,600 - $273,600
- ev.energyProduct DesignerAnywhere • Full-time$53,000 - $69,000
- Recharge PaymentsProduct Design ManagerClosedAnywhere • Full-time
- KinstaFull-Stack Web DesignerAnywhere • Full-time
- Siege MediaGraphic DesignerClosedAnywhere • Full-time$55,000 - $64,000
- SimpleGraphic and Motion DesignerClosedAnywhere • Freelance
- InspectorioGraphic DesignerClosedAnywhere • Full-time
- MedallionVisual DesignerClosedAnywhere • Full-time$65,000 - $110,000
- KrakenProduct Designer - Web, MarketingClosedAnywhere • Full-time
- Magic LeapCreative Director, Professional ServicesClosedAnywhere • Full-time
- ElasticSecurity - Sr. Product DesignerAnywhere • Full-time
- MailbirdHead of DesignClosedAnywhere • Full-time
- BenchSenior Product DesignerAnywhere • Full-time$115,500 - $144,400
- DuckDuckGoDirector, Product DesignClosedAnywhere • Full-time$220,000
- Senior Product DesignerClosedAnywhere • Full-time$155,300 - $258,700
- SastrifySr Product DesignerAnywhere • Full-time
- VEEDSenior Product Designer - ActivationClosedAnywhere • Full-time
- HypixelSenior UI/UX Design LeadAnywhere • Full-time
- ZapierSr. Content DesignerClosedAnywhere • Full-time$152,200 - $228,200
- Scott's Cheap FlightsProduct Designer, GrowthClosedAnywhere • Full-time
- InVisionAppStaff Product DesignerClosedAnywhere • Full-time
- ScopicUI/UX DesignerClosedAnywhere • Full-time
- Multiple regions Hiring NowOur mission is to organise the world’s information and make it universally accessible and useful.
- FigmaMultiple regions Hiring NowA design platform for teams who build products together.
- SquarespaceAnywhere Hiring NowEverything needed to power your ideas: websites, online stores, domains, and more.
- SpotifyAnywhereListening is everything.
- Siege MediaAnywhereWe help great brands scale with. SEO-focused content marketing. We’re the content marketing agency that brands hire when ROI isn’t optional. Meet our team. Our marketing services are SEO-focused, customer-driven and proven to deliver. We’ll get you the traffic, links and rankings that drive exponential growth.